In the Muggle world, most of the island comprises the country the Republic of Ireland, while a portion of the northeastern part of the island, Northern Ireland, remains part of the United Kingdom. The capital city of the Republic of Ireland is Dublin, and the capital of Northern Ireland is Belfast. The first game of Quidditch was held in Ireland.
- The Irish National Quidditch team won the 422nd Quidditch World Cup in 1994, defeating the Bulgarian National Quidditch team in the final match.
- The Ballycastle Bats are the second most successful team in the British and Irish Quidditch League, having won the title twenty-seven times.
- The Kenmare Kestrels are another famous Irish Quidditch team. The Kestrels are based in Kenmare, Co. Kerry, in the South of the country.
The following magical creatures are native to Ireland:
- Aethonans: A chestnut breed of winged horses.
- Augureys: Shy birds that issue a heart-rending cry at the approach of rain.
- Banshees: creatures with the appearance of a woman that scream in an unearthly, wailing voice.
- Grindylows: Water demons that dwell in lakes.
- Imps: Small, humanoid, dark brown creatures with a mischievous nature.
- Jarveys: Beasts that resemble large ferrets and can talk.
- Kelpies: Water demons that can alter their appearance.
- Leprechauns: Small, humanoid creatures that can talk and like to play tricks on humans.
- Merrows: A Merpeople breed.
- Mokes: Lizards that can shrink at will.
- Porlocks: Horse guardians from southern Ireland and Dorset